North Ryde PS 140 years of operation
Our 1877 schoolroom commenced operation with 40 pupils in January 1878. At the official opening in early March enrolments had increased to 53 pupils. The first teacher, Mr Charles Crew, with his wife Elizabeth, were appointed to the school from Goulburn where they were held in high regard. They lived in the four-room headmaster’s cottage that was located beside the school with their six children. Sadly Charles became unwell and passed away at age 36 in August 1880.